Even with the sharp rise of social media marketing, there’s no question that email is still an incredibly powerful and cost-effective tool for reaching out to your customers. Plus, with most email programs, you can quickly track the success of any campaign to determine what’s working and what’s not. Here’s a list of some do’s and don’ts that will make your email campaigns even more successful.
- Do put together a plan. Develop an email strategy for sharing news, sales announcements, and information. An email newsletter can cover all of these things in one message without flooding people’s inboxes with too much mail. Decide what you want to send, then schedule time to plan, write, design and release your campaigns.
- Don’t overwhelm your recipients with too much mail. An email address is a precious gift from a customer, so don’t abuse it or your recipient is likely to unsubscribe (or worse, report you as a spammer). Send just enough messages to keep your customers interested in what you’re up to.
- Do craft your subject line carefully. Make it short enough (50 characters or less) to fit in an inbox overview, but interesting enough for people to want to open it up and read more. Getting the message into the inbox is just the first step; make people want to open it up.
- Don’t give your readers too much information in the email itself. Give them just enough to grab their attention, then give them a way to click through to your website for more details.
- Do focus more on content than design. Yes, you want your message to be attractive, but it’s really the text that’s most important. If you put in too many graphics, the email will be too big and go straight to Spam.
- Don’t send every message to every person on your list. A newsletter is appropriate for all groups, but if possible, for sales promotions, break your email list into groups and send targeted messages to each one. For instance, if you can categorise your list by what customers buy (package or product purchased, etc.), you’ll be able to target them with messages about other items or services you offer. List management takes time, but the results will be well worth the effort.
Looking for more help with your email campaigns or strategy? Let us know!